Chronicle of events
The idol installed here at Guruvayur temple considered to be 5000 years old and lot of legends associated with it.
1030 – Sreekovil and Mandapam renovated.
1058 – Koothambalam and Nalambalam reconstructed.
12thcentury – Western Gopuram constructed.
14thcentury – Tantra Samuchaya written by Chennas Narayanan Namboodiri.
14thcentury – Mentions of Kuruvayur in Tamil literature and Kokasandesam.
1587 – Narayaneeyam composed
1637 – Temple records available in Kolezhuthu script
1638 – The central shrine rebuilt.
1716 – Dutch raided Guruvayur and set fire to the Western Gopuram.
1747 – Western Gopuram rebuilt by Panikkaveettil Ittirayicha Menon, Karyasthan.
1756 – Dutch attacked and desecrated Trikkunavay ( Trikkana Mathilakam) to which Guruvayur was a Keezhedam (Subordinate temple)
1757 – Dutch again attacked Trikkunavay temple and the Devaswom dissolved.
1757– Zamorin became the supervising trustee with Mallisseri as the co-trustee of Guruvayur.
1766 – Hyder Ali attacked Guruvayur.
1780 – “Devadaya” from Hyder Ali through Madras Governor Shri. Srinivasa Rao.
1789 – Tippu Sultan attacked Guruvayur – Utsavavigraha shifted to Ambalappuzha and Moolavigraha to a safe underground place.
1792 – September 17 – Reinstallation of the Moolavigraha after the victory of Zamorins over Tippu with the help of British.
1825 – 1892 Temple under the supervision of Court.
1836 – Installation of Deepasthambam in front of the gate way.
1841 – Government of Madras restored Devadaya appropriated by Tippu Sultan.
1842 – The Eastern Gopuram rebuilt.
1859 – Central shrine and mandapam covered with copper sheeting. A permanent flagstaff with bell metal covering set up.
1889 – Dispute started between trustees . Even temple closed for over a week.
1892 – Chuttambalam, Vilakkumatam, Koothambalam and Sastha Shrine were renovated and roofed with copper sheets.
1893 – Compromise was arrived between trustees.
1900 – Big bell was set up and reconstructed the Pathayapura (granary).1910 – Deepasthambam at Eastern Gopuram installed by Shri Chettur Sankaran Nair.
1915 – A court of wards assumed the management of Zamorin’s Estate including Guruvayur temple.
1922 – January 4th Nadayiruthal of elephant “Kesavan”.
1927 – Zamorins got back the administrative powers from the Court of Wards.
1930 – A clear administrative scheme was framed by the High court of Madras with the Zamorin once again as the head.
1931 – Guruvayur Satyagraham started.
1932 – Temple remained closed for 12 days without pooja, because of Guruvayur Satyagraham.
1946 – Temple entry for all Hindus.
1952 – January 30 – Flagstaff completely enclosed with gold.
1964 – Sree Krishna College started.
1970 November 30 – Huge fire devastated the Temple.
1971 March 9 – Guruvayur Devaswom Act. Replaced the 1930 Scheme enacted by the Hon’ble High Court of Madras. The Kerala Government takes charge of the temple administration.
1973 – The honor “Gajarajan” awarded to Kesavan on his Shashtiabda poorthi (60thbirth day).
1974 October 31 – The temple renovation after fire completed.
1978 March 2 – A regular bill passed in the Kerala Assembly with some modification to the existing Guruvayur Devaswom Act – 1971.
In 1931-32 , Late Kelappan (known as “Kerala Gandhi” ) led the Guruvayur Satyagraha to secure the entry of lower castes in temples. The lower castes were allowed to go only up to Thiyyarambalam, more than about half kilometer from the temple. He started a fast unto death in front of the Eastern Gopuram . He broke the fast at the insistence of Mahatma Gandhi. It did not produce any immediate result but led to the entry of Dalits in various Kerala temples .
In 1947, the Guruvayur temple was also opened for the entry of all Hindus. Later, namaskara sadya (feast), which was only for Brahmins was scrapped and was opened to everyone irrespective of caste.